Sunday, April 29, 2012

Catching Up With Old Friends

This month has been all about the people in my former lives. I talked to Susan, my friend in Florida earlier in the month. It was her birthday. Then me and Mikey took a day trip to DC and I had lunch with Carol. Last week, I had dinner with Pat, a former co-worker and x-next door neighbor. We suffered together through 2 different employers and misbehaving teenaged children. In the picture also is Denise, currently out on disability, but we've also worked in 2 different jobs together. Two of the women in this picture are former supervisors of mine, and one is a current coworker. Small world. An interesting fact about this picture--3 of the 5 women here are breast cancer survivors. They are each an inspiration in their own way. Yesterday, I talked Mikey into accompanying me to a fund-raiser at the Goathouse Refuge. It's a cat sanctuary run by this artist at her cottage studio in the county. She's a potter and uses most of the proceeds from her art sales to fund this cat adoption place. She must have had a 100 cats, maybe more. She had several buildings and fenced in areas so the cats roam free. Volunteers come in to help feed, give medicine, clean up. It's quite an operation she's got there. I took a picture of this guy who was sharing a table with us.
The link to the website: http://www.goathouserefuge.org/
Oh, and speaking of old friends...I was initially invited to this event by someone I worked with a few years back. I adopted one of her cats when she brought her baby home from the hospital and had to get rid of her cats. Her daughter was born at 24 weeks gestation. It's a pure miracle she survived. She's now an active 11 year old. It was fun catching up with Kiva and hanging out with the cats. Oh did I mention there was ALL kinds of food there. Tons of dessert. Yep, just what I need. More sugar. At least I didn't bring home any cats.

No comments: