Sunday, May 22, 2011

The kids are alright


Finally got the whole group together. We drove out to Dad's place and had lunch with him. For some reason he wanted to eat poke. For the un-initiated, poke is a kind of weed that you eat like turnip greens or kale. They have a milder flavor than collards. Hopefully they aren't poisonous or anything like that. It was a pleasant enough outing--always enjoy spending time with the young-uns. Having adult children is an interesting experience. We have a good relationship. At least I think so. Having a conversation with my dad and with my kids at the same time is--interesting. So what else is going on...I'm reading "The Eden Express" by Mark Vonnegut. It's a book I've been wanting to read for a couple of decades now. Finally got around to it. I'm trying to read more now...before my brain completely turns to mush.

1 comment:

LDSVenus said...

Yes, adult children are very ummm, interesting. I hadn't heard of poke in a long time. Do you remember the song poke salad annie? It was making fun I think of the back hills people, but yeah, poke is perfectly ok to eat, like asparagus growing on the sides of a river bank - most people have no clue where their food actually comes from, except that they buy it in the grocery store or grow it in their garden. Not that I know where all my food actually comes from either, but I do pay attention when I hear people talk about the old days when they had to go gather their own ;).