Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturdays with the little Nana

Picked up mom at the nursing home again Saturday morning and got her ready for the outing. She seemed to understand what was going on because she was anxious to get in the car and she was smiling when I told her we were going to go see James. It's a little over an hour drive from the nursing home to Dad's house and she was reading road signs all the way. We were over halfway there when I noticed her squirming around in the seat. Usually this means she needs to get to a bathroom. She can't really communicate anymore, so she isn't able to verbalize her needs ahead of time. Unfortunately, I have the nose of a bloodhound, so the drive was becoming increasingly unpleasant for both of us. I think I set the land speed record for the Goldston to Carbonton trip. And that's with my head hanging out of the window. But, not to worry, we got to Dad's house--and everything was well contained. I can deal with the diapers-I'm used to it, but it's NO fun when everything is just running all over the place...if you get my drift. Dad's next door neighbors came by. They haven't seen mom in over 2 years, not since she was going over to their house at all hours of the day and night searching for lost people and items. They were very patient with her. Mom seemed pleased to see the kids and was especially happy when the little boy bowed and said "sayonara" when they left. It was a sweet moment.

1 comment:

LDSVenus said...

You know your mom really has held her age well, her face does not show it at all. She looks happy to be home :). I'm glad you get to go bring her home from time to time, I know it will be a help when she goes back to Heavenly Father, to know you spent time with her. I'm so glad I got to spend the last year of my mom's life with her, it helped me deal with her death.