Wednesday, May 21, 2014

KaBOOM!

This past Saturday, Armed Forces Day, I volunteered with a group from work to build a playground in Fayetteville. KaBoom is like Habitat for Humanity, only they build playgrounds rather than houses. Honestly, I had been dreading it all week because I don't do physical labor and I also don't do hot weather. I was so afraid I would get stuck on mulch duty. If I had to shovel mulch and move wheelbarrows, I would last about 10 minutes. BUT, as luck would have it--I was randomly assigned to painting! So, I spent the day in the shade painting signs. It was great. Actually the weather was more than amazing. It must have been in the low 70s all day. Just beautiful. And we got fed breakfast and lunch. Besides the crew from Blue Cross, there was a group there from Great Oak Youth Development Center, Harnett-Cumberland Parks & Rec, some Ft. Bragg soldiers and a few community volunteers. In 6 1/2 hours we build a playground, picnic area, other play areas, walking trails and a stage. Maybe someday I can take my grandkids there to show them my handiwork
I'm in the back somewhere.
.

No comments: