Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Down at the river




Hey, ya'll. I wanted to post a couple of pictures of the Haw River so you could see the effects of the drought. Normally, this river would be full of kayakers, but right now you can walk across it. I was climbing down to the canoe launch, which is no easy task for a lazy woman of my advanced age, and it occurred to me how quiet and isolated it was. I suddenly felt sort of uneasy stumbling around in the underbrush all alone. Maybe it's because I watched this ridiculous movie last night "The Hills Have Eyes." I am a great fan of zombie movies and this movie was really your basic zombie movie only with nuclear mutants instead of the undead. I've seen about a half dozen movies with the standard plot of the family (or group of teenagers) who get lost off the mainroad and end up being stalked and eaten by zombies, mutants, assorted freaks and/or psychopaths. After a sufficient quantity of blood has been spilled, the survivor(s) finally break free, only to find out they were tricked by someone they trusted and end up dead anyway. If you want to see a good zombie movie, here are my recommendations: Night of the Living Dead (the original, a true classic), Dawn of the Dead (the remake is completely superior to the original) and Shawn of the Dead (a fantastic spoof of the genre). I personally really liked the "Planet Terror" segment of "Grindhouse" but even I realize it's not for everyone. I hate light romantic comedies. I throw that out there in case anyone was thinking about buying me some DVDs for Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personal favorite zombie movie is 28 Days. Worth watching, I promise.
Nice photos of the river; I've never seen it that low!

Anonymous said...

We've had such a bad drought too that the city water tastes like mold ewwwww. I only drink bottled water anyway, cant stand the city water here.